Code Enforcement coordinates animal control operations with the City’s animal control agency - San Diego Humane Society and SPCA, and regulates numbers and types of animals allowed on individual property; and responds to animal nuisance complaints.
- Vista Animal Control Information
- Dog Licensing brochure
- Schedule of Events (Affordable licensing, vaccinations and microchip events by SD Humane Society)
Dogs much be vaccinated against rabies and licensed within 30 days after reaching the age of 4 months, or of acquiring the animal, or after entering the jurisdiction of Vista.
Barking Dogs or Animals at Large Phone: 760-757-4357 x 2622 or 619-243-3466
Lost & Found Pets
The San Diego Humane Society provides lost and found services at our Oceanside Campus for the cities of Oceanside and Vista. If you live outside of these cities, please visit the Humane Society website for a list of other organizations that provide lost and found services. Please check here for more information on lost and found pets.
Dead Animal Pick Up
- The City contracts with D&D Services
- Please call 877.742.5787 for dead animals on public property. (Please provide street address or cross streets, description of animal (dog, cat, skunk, etc.).
- If the dead animal is on private property, there is a fee for the pickup.
What to do about Nuisance, Dangerous or Injured Wildlife
Check the State of CA Fish and Wildlife website or contact the South Coast Region CA Department of Fish & Game at 858.467.4257 if you need to report dangerous or injured wildlife (including mountain lions). For more information on mountain lions, check the Fish and Wildlife website.
Wild Animal Sighting
Authorities ask those who notice a wild animal (mountain lion or other) in the area to call the Sheriff's Department at 858.565.5200 (but in an emergency, call 911), as well as the CA Fish and Wildlife office at 858.467.4201. For information from Fish and Wildlife officials about mountain lions and other wild animals, go to keepmewild.org.